I registered with the wrong HPCSA/Student number. Please help!

Please Note: Your number on certificates already issued can not be changed at all.

To change your HPCSA or student number, please send us an email at info@radcrit.co.za with a request to reset your account. We will reset your account and inform you by email. When you receive the email, login with your username/email address and password, then go to Dashboard and activate your account with the correct registration number.

If you want us to change your HPCSA or student number on your behalf, you need to email us a certified copy of your HPCSA or student registration, as well as a copy of your ID.